Sunday, April 25, 2010

The hardest job in the world

The hardest job in the world is being a parent.  I’d like to see anyone argue with that.  Being completely responsible for the health, education and well-being of another human – one who starts off completely helpless and progresses to a state of curious self-endangerment – is stressful, tiring and mind-numbing.

I recently read a fabulous blog posting over at Her Bad Mother called 10 Things I Hate About Motherhood (And One That I Love).  I so completely identified with this posting.  Being a mom is hard.  The sleep deprivation is insane and the act of putting someone else before yourself 100% of the time is very difficult.

But – when Brad looks at me and says “Mom, you’re my best friend” or when Lucy pats my head and says “Mommy, hair pretty.” it melts my heart in a way that nothing else can.  My children are smart, funny and incredibly entertaining.  They make me laugh and smile way more often than they make me cry. 

IMG_1504

How could I not just love them?

2 comments:

Stephen and Kathy said...

It is true that being a parent is a hard job and yes you do get rewards that makes it worthwhile, as they get older you will sit back and think that wasn't all that hard.
the Lord made grandparents to help give parents a break that is why we get to spoil them, Keep up the good work we love your family.

Kaycee said...

It's a hard job, but the best job!